WDHOF Scholarships and Grants are now live!
There are a number of scholarships and grants in scuba diving. One of the main organisers of these precious grants is the Women Divers Hall of Fame.
This year, there are 39 Women Divers Hall of Fame training grants and scholarships available. These grants and scholarships provide financial and educational support to individuals of all ages, particularly those who are preparing for professional careers that involve diving.
How to apply
Please read the scholarship and grant descriptions, requirements, applicant qualifications and application instructions very carefully, and refer to the specific requirements as you complete your application.
The WDHOF application system is Google-based. Applicants will need to set up a Google account so that you can upload required documents (eg letters of recommendation). If you do not have access to Google please contact WDHOF to request an alternate application.
You may apply for only one scholarship or training grant per year.
All applications require two letters of recommendation from individuals who can comment on your ability to complete the proposed project or training.
Applicants must complete the online application form; emailed applications will not be accepted.
The deadline for receipt of applications is 31 October 2020, midnight US Eastern Standard Time. Applicants will be notified of award status by 1 February 2021.
2020 WDHOF Scholarships
Scholarships are offered in marine conservation, marine biology, underwater archaeology, education (marine or freshwater), dive instructor education and dive medicine. They are intended to support independent research and/or internship programs. They do not support living expenses or student loans. Scholarships are paid or awarded directly to the recipient.
Scholarships for women only (14 awards)
- Marine Conservation Scholarship – Graduate ($2000) (3 awards)
- Marine Conservation Scholarship – Undergraduate ($1000) (3 awards)
- Coral and Seagrass Rehabilitation Fellowship ($2500) (4 awards)
- Sea Turtle Conservation Grant ($2000) (1 award)
- Underwater Archaeology – Graduate ($2000) (1 award)
- Underwater Archaeology – Undergraduate ($750) (1 award)
- Journalism, Graphic Arts, Photography, or Videography Scholarship ($1500) (1 award)
Scholarships for women or men (3 awards)
- Undergraduate Marine Research Internship ($1000) (1 award)
- Sea to Space Extreme Environment Physiology Grant ($5000) (2 awards)
2020 WDHOF Training Grants
Training grants provide funding for diving and related underwater training and, for some awards, scuba equipment (but only after dive training has been completed). For training conducted in the United States, funds are paid directly to the training facility and/or the equipment vendor upon WDHOF’s receipt of an invoice; they are NOT paid directly to the grantee. For training that is not conducted in the United States, the awardee will be reimbursed after she/he completes the training.
You don't have to be a female diver, nor a US-based or US-born diver to be eligible to apply. Each grant does have a number of requirements and they are detailed on the WDHOF website.
Training grants for women only (15 awards)
- Basic dive training (learn to dive) ($1000) (7 awards)
- Advanced dive training ($1000) (6 awards)
- Hard hat dive training ($1000) (1 award)
- Instructor advanced education ($2000) (1 award)